Request for lost DD214

How can I get a copy of my DD Form 214

The DD Form 214, Report of Separation, is filed in the Official Military Personnel File. Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes the veteran’s complete name used while in service, service number or social security number, branch of service, and dates of service.

You will need Adobe Acrobat to open the file. If you do not have Adobe, you may get if free >> Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

This form will need to be completed and mailed to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Or you may call the National Records Personnel Center telephone information lines:

Army Reference Branch: (314) 538 – 4122
Air Force Branch: (314) 538 – 4218
Navy Reference Branch: (314) 538 – 4200
Marines Reference Branch: (314) 538 – 4200
Coast Guard: (314) 538 – 4200

Learn more about getting qualified for VA loans


Generally there is no charge for military personnel and health record information provided to veterans, next-of-kin, and authorized representatives. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made.

Response Time.

Response time varies dependent upon the complexity of your request, the availability of records, and our workload. Please do not send a follow-up request before 90 days have elapsed as it may cause further delays


To expedite the process, you can Fed-Ex the document to NPRC with a pre-paid self-addressed return Fed-Ex envelope, with a letter stating you are in escrow and need a copy of your DD214 ASAP.

If you are looking for your DD214 because you are thinking of buying a home, you can also search for other types of mortgages and home loans such as FHA loans which allow first time home buyers to buy a home with or without using a home buying grant. You should get pre-approved for a home loan even if you have bad credit before searching real estate listings or homes for sale as the current real estate market is very competitive especially with California real estate and in areas such as Orange County. Lastly if you are a CalPERS member buying a home in California you should look into a Calpers home loan. If you are sellin home or buying a home you may find a real estate agent.